Stars, Daisies and Butterflies
These are a few of my favorite things...

Friday, July 16, 2010
For a while, I was my own personal hero in health improvement. I had just underwent gallbladder surgery, and was determined to improve my overall well-being. I was on a six-week medical leave after the surgery, and as a result I had a LOT of time to think. I thought about my husband, and how he needs me as much as I need him. Why would I stay unhealthy and jeopardize our time together (which, we both agree, is a minimum of another 70 years)? I thought about my nephew and niece. I love them so much, and they need me to be there for them - chasing them around, going to their school events when they get older. How could I let them down? And I thought about my mother, who passed away at 41 (when I was 19). She never went to the doctor because she was always worried they would find something terrible. But because she never went, she died of a latent health issue she'd had all of her life. Losing her is something I will never fully recover from. How could I do that to my family and friends?
All of this thinking amounted to some major motivation for me to make some serious life changes. I joined the gym, and to my surprise, I really loved it. I didn't completely overhaul my eating habits, but I certainly started to make some healthier choices. I took vitamins every day without fail. I (mostly) gave up coffee and caffeinated soda. I even started to stick to a skin care regimen that seriously improved my skin. This went on for months. I couldn't believe my success! I wasn't looking for physical results - rather, I was looking to feel better. And I really, truly did. My husband was so proud of me. I was so proud of me!
After months had passed by of this new and improved me, I ran into a series of stressful months. We all have them, I know. And in retrospect, no single major, stressful event happened. It was just a rolling accumulation of stressors. I found myself skipping the gym to go home and take a nap. Eating McDonald's for dinner because it was easy. And drinking a giant cup of coffee every morning to perk myself along. Which brings us to the present day.
I have to say, I feel kind of "off". I'm not digesting food very well, not sleeping well at all, and my sinuses are out of control. I stepped back on the scale for the first time in a very long time and...let's just say I was not happy with what I saw. Not feeling well physically definitely affects me mentally. I just haven't "felt like" doing a lot of things - the gym, even going out socially - that I normally love. A co-worker stopped me this morning and asked out of genuine concern if everything was OK. That floored me - I am always the cheerful, constantly motivated type at work.
It's time to re-think...re-motivate...re-do! If there's one thing I have learned through all of this, it's that I am the only person that can pull myself out of a rut. And when I put my mind to something and truly commit, look out world! Today I feel the old me trying to claw her way out, and that makes me smile - I love that girl!

Posted by April at 7:21 AM |

3 Comments:

Post a Comment


At July 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Blogger Erin said........
You make me smile April! Good for you and your re-dedication. It is tough but you can do it. Bob and I are getting back on the horse when we get back from vacation. I am here for you!!
 


At July 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
First things first. You can do this. We all slip, but tomorrow is another day and another chance to start again. I truly believe that each and every day is a new chance and opportunity.

I fall off the horse, wagon, whatever often, sometimes worse than others, but standing up and brushing yourself off with little changes will have you back in no time!
 


At July 18, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Anonymous April said........
Thanks so much, Erin and Ella! It is nice to know that every day is a chance to start fresh. :-)